Every summer I have the best intentions to start a “summer bucket list” for my kiddos... Well this is the year! My girls are now 4 and 6 (how did that happen?!) and I finally am committing to accomplishing it this summer! (Could be part of my nesting for baby #3, too? I’m already starting to feel the mom guilt of another baby joining our family so I’m doing all I can to make this one of their best summers yet! Of course, I want it to be one of my best summers, too. ;) )
I thought it would be great to divide the list into 3 sections: activities to do at home, close to home, and a little bit of a drive. I hope my list gives you some new ideas and helps you to feel like this summer is one of your best ones yet, too!
P.S. There is NO WAY we will get to all of these but it’s great to have plenty of options to choose from. Huge thanks to the mamas on my FIT4MOM DuPage County Instructor Team that contributed, too!
- Tie-dye party with friends!
- Water table play
- Finger paint on canvas
- Camp in the backyard
- Make birdhouses for the yard
- Catch fireflies
- Water balloon fights
- Squirt gun fights
- Christmas in July: movies, baking cookies, pjs
- Playing in the mud
- Baking soda/vinegar volcanoes
- Homemade ice cream (remember this from grade school? Rolling the coffee cans?)
- Squirt gun painting
- Wash cars (umm…my kids LOVE this!)
- Stroller wash
- Butterfly transformation
- Lots of homemade popsicles & snacks!
- Play in the rain
- Make S'Mores
Close to Home Activities (around 20 min or less drive):
- Stroller Strides/Barre at Cantigny! Lunch and playdate after.
- MORE FIT4MOM classes…
- Morton Arboretum: find the trolls, tadpoles
- Bison’s Bluff
- Itasca Park District Water Park
- Willowbrook Wildlife Center
- TONS of parks - Elmhurst Park District, Lombard Park District, Wheaton Park District, & More
- Sensory playground
- Splash pads
- Mini golf
- Ride the Metra to another town and grab lunch
- Local Farmers Markets
Farther from Home Activities (20 min or further drive):
- Visit a farm! (Fair Oaks Farm in Indiana?)
- Brookfield Zoo
- Lincoln Park Zoo
- Santa’s Village
- Blackberry Farm
- Strawberry picking
- Arlington Race Track family day
- Otter Cove Water Park (St. Charles Park District)
- Ball Factory in Naperville
- Cougars Game
- Cubs Game
I’m sure there are many more fun things I missed! What’s on your list that I should add to mine?