Meet Nikki, our September Mom of the Month! Her nerves got the best of her as she drove to her 1st FIT4MOM class, but she tried again and was instantly hooked! She knew she had found “her people” and hasn’t looked back since. A mom to three beautiful girls, Nikki knows the importance of taking time for her own health and fitness. She has inspired moms in all of our classes, from FIT4BABY to Body Back.
We love having you in our classes and as a part of Our Village, Nikki! Congratulations, mama!
- Hometown: I was born in Southern CA, but we moved to Wheaton when I was 13. So I’m half So Cal, half midwesterner.
- Tell us about who is in your family: My husband Ned and I have 3 girls- Morgan (8), Ella (6) and Charlotte (2)
- Current/Previous Career: I was a 3rd grade teacher before having kids. I stopped teaching after our second baby, and became a private tutor.
- What was your childhood ambition? Honestly, becoming a mom was always a childhood dream. I had lots of baby dolls and would spend my days caring for them. I would ask my mom to buy formula so I could make real bottles. She never did, and now I understand why. That stuff is too expensive to just play with!
- What does motherhood mean to you? Motherhood is complex. There are moments of the purest love and joy, and then there are other moments. Moments that sometimes feel brutally difficult, lonely and exhausting. But the beauty of motherhood makes it all worth it. There is nothing better than the sweet kiss from tiny lips, or when a small hand reaches up to hold yours.
- What is the farthest you’ve been away from home? In college I spent a semester in Madrid. It was a huge learning experience for me. So much so that I will insist my kids do some sort of international traveling during the college years. It’s important that they see and appreciate cultures outside of their own.
- How did you find FIT4MOM? I found FIT4MOM almost 9 years ago! After my first was born I quickly realized how lonely and scary being a new mom can be. I started going to Stroller Strides and immediately found my people. Here’s a little secret I’ve never told anyone…. When I went to my very first class I was so nervous about everything- meeting new people, working out for the first time in a long time, would my baby actually sit in the stroller for an hour, how would I nurse her if I needed to, etc. I drove up and saw everyone getting ready for class and then I drove right past and went home. I chickened out! Thankfully I got the courage to go later that week. Of course it was love at first class. But that scary moment of “can I really do this” seems to be a reoccurring feeling in motherhood. I like to believe I’m much better at taking those moments head on instead of driving right past them.
- How has FIT4MOM changed your life: When I think about how FIT4MOM changed my life I think about that story of me driving away from my first class, and how far I’ve come from being scared and unsure of myself as a mom and a person. FIT4MOM has challenged me in ways I never thought possible. I’ve learned I am actually quite strong, inside and out. I started just doing Stroller Strides. As new and different classes came along I was scared to try each one. Stroller Barre, for example, seemed intimidating to me. I was sure it wasn’t for me because barre classes are for super fit and strong mamas. But then I tried it, and loved it of course. The challenge of all challenges was Body Back. I can’t tell you how many times I looked at the class online and thought, “I want to try it, but can I really do this?” I finally took the plunge this year and was amazed at what I could accomplish.
- Favorite exercise: Any exercise that is done outside is my favorite. I also love the one where you run as a group single file and the last person has to run to the front. I’m sure there’s a name for that??
- Proudest moment: Birthing my babies without medication. I’m proud to have trusted my body and allowed it to do what it was made to without interfering.
- Tell us something about yourself that would surprise us: I’ve never seen a Star Wars movie, nor do I have any plans to in the future.