I love food, especially when I don’t have to prepare it or clean up afterward. But dining out is a treat I enjoy much less frequently now that I have kids. The whole experience is just much more stressful with little ones in tow, and sometimes it’s easier to stay home. However, here are five options in the Glen Ellyn/Wheaton/Lombard area that make dining with kids possible, and actually pretty delicious/fun.
- Lunch or dinner at Bricks, and ice cream at Kimmer’s. This combo is in Wheaton, and Bricks has a few other locations in neighboring towns. It’s a brick oven pizza and sandwich shop with a casual atmosphere and very good food. You order at a counter and bring a number to your table. Everything is made fresh but service is fast, which makes it a great option for dining with little ones. Pizzas are big enough to share with your kiddo, and who doesn’t love pizza? For dessert, grab a cone at Kimmer’s. I like to go for an early lunch after vising the French Market on Saturdays in downtown Wheaton.
- Breakfast at Butterfields. We go to the one in Wheaton, but there are other locations in the area as well. While it is a little pricey for breakfast, the food is very, very good (especially the pancakes; I think they have vanilla in them). Plus, since kids are generally up earlier than the weekend “out to breakfast” crowd, you can make it in and out before a line builds up out the door. Kids get a free balloon as they exit the restaurant, which is the highlight of my daughter’s trip. The lunch food is also delicious, and it’s not very crowded on weekdays.
- Lunch or Early Dinner at Greek Islands in Lombard. My husband is Greek, and when our families are in town, we enjoy going to Greek Islands. It is often quite crowded, but less so at lunch time and over the early dinner hours. There always seems to be families there whenever we go, and the atmosphere is nice without being stuffy. If you’re into Greek food, it’s pretty delicious and authentic (it’s the suburban location of a city restaurant with the same name). If you like cheese, order the Flaming Saganaki. The light cheese on fire, at your table. It’s delicious, less hokey than it sounds, and the kids get a kick out of it. The appetizers are the best part; you can make a meal out of them by ordering several and sharing.
- Tom and Eddie’s. This one’s in Lombard at Yorktown Center, with two other locations nearby. If you want a burger a step above some of the more traditional burger chains, this is it. Plus, they’ve got chicken options, salads, and a couple of cool items like Ahi Tuna and Edamame burgers. It’s casual, there’s a kids menu, and the food is great.
- 2Toots Train Whistle Grill. This one is in Glen Ellyn, and it is by far the most talked about restaurant in Our Village. Many of my fellow FIT4MOM friends take their kids there for birthdays and special occasions because there’s a train that goes around the restaurant and entertains children through their entire meal. How cool is that?
What restaurants do you like to take your kids to? I’d love to hear them!